[mythtv-users] Mixing MythDora and MythBuntu

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 16:31:04 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Ben Lancaster <mail at benlancaster.co.uk>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a multi-system MythTV setup at home as follows:
>
> * Combined FE/Master BE in the living room
> * Bedroom FE
> * Slave BE, MySQL Server, audio/video/recording storage in the loft
>
> The two FEs are installed off MythDora 5, the slave backend is Fedora 7
> and ATRPMs
>
> I'm quite interested to try out http://www.boxee.tv/ with a view to
> replacing MythVideo, MythMusic and MythGallery, but there are a raft of
> known issues with getting this to run on Fedora without throwing
> yourself into dependency hell (and my skills aren't up to contributing
> the necessary changes to accomodate). There are, however, binary
> releases for Ubuntu 8/9. My question is, how "compatible" are MythDora
> and MythBuntu? My main concern is the BE protocol version; is this
> consistent across the 0.21-fixes branch?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben

I can't speak for what protocol comes with what distro these days, but back
when my FE/BE was Mythdora I connected to it from a Mythbuntu FE with no
problem, after updating the FE to 0.21.

More recently I've connected to my .21 BE from a Mac FE running .21-fixes
and didn't have any issues. Mythbuntu's such an easy install, why not just
try it and see what happens? :-)