[mythtv-users] Storage Solution: Can ya help a brother out?

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Tue Nov 25 02:00:21 UTC 2008

> Great!  All the pieces are in the box - so, how do you put them together?
> So I get how LVM let's me keep throwing disks at it, but how do I get
> fault-resistance?  RAID, right?  But I don't think RAID likes new disks,
> does it? So, maybe starting with how to get that to work.

LVM can be used in two ways
1. to put together several different sized drives to make one large one
2. split one large drive into several partitions, each of which can then
have a different filesystem on it.

In my case I run 4x 200G drives in RAID5 to return 600G which I chop up
with LVM into several chunks. 350G for videos, 80G for music, 40G for
MythArchive workspace etc. I use storage groups on seperate drives for TV
recordings.

The advantage of the multiple partitions is that I can use JFS for the
videos (fewer large files which it handles well) and ext3 for the smaller
partitions that have lots of small files on them. The whole lot is
protected by the RAID underneath of course.

--
Robin Gilks