[mythtv-users] Storage Solution: Can ya help a brother out?

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Mon Nov 24 18:20:29 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 10:06 -0800, vamythguy wrote:
<snip>

> I thought that might be the answer - ok.  And it looks like someone
> added the ability to grow RAID arrays when I wasn't looking.  So, if
> that's the case, why LVM?

LVM allows a filesystem to seamlessly span different sized disks. As you
saw with RAID each disk must have the same amount of space used. With
LVM different sized disks can be combined and will be seen as one larger
drive by the filesystem. Each has its place, but for pure MythTV use I
think storage groups are the way to go. Much less complexity. You do
lose the fault tolerance of RAID, but you keep the ability to use
different sized disks like LVM. You also gain the ability to spin down
drives not in use; something that can't be done with a RAID array.

Cheers,
James