[mythtv-users] Single recording, multiple resolutions

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Nov 24 18:15:25 UTC 2008

On 11/24/2008 12:04 PM, Ted Romer wrote:
> I am upgrading my back-end from SD to HD (1080i cable feed), and only
> some of my front-end devices will be able to play back HD.
>
> I'd like to be able to keep the option open of playing a recording
> back at the either the original fidelity or at lower fidelity
> depending on which front-end I happen to be using.  Looking through
> the documentation and the forums, I don't see an obvious way of doing
> this.
>
> Has anyone found a good way to keep multiple transcodings of
> individual shows around so that they are easily accessible at playback
> time?
>
> Ideas welcome.

Best bet is MythVideo.  There's work in progress to allow keeping
multiple files per recording, but the code's not done.

There's also a way to tell Myth to record a show in both HDTV /and/
standard-def (if that's feasible--i.e. you have both digital and analog
capture available), let me know and I'll look up the link.

Mike