[mythtv-users] Ubuntu with OpenSolaris Kernel - Kernel-based ZFS for Ubuntu?

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Mon Nov 24 15:38:01 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Ozzy Lash <ozzy.lash at gmail.com> wrote:

> It should work with an HDHomerun though, shouldn't it?

You might have to do a little work on some code to get it to build properly.
But they are using Ubuntu's userland, so it might just work. The HDHR is
network based, so there is little reason to believe it won't be easy enough
to get working. You don't need kernel drivers, so that's a plus for it.

I installed Nextena Core to give it a try in Virtualbox. It worked great.
Easy to install, about like Ununtu Server or Debian. Text mode installer,
but easy to understand.  I was able to create ZFS arrays and filesystems
just fine using the CLI, I didn't install X, so I can't say how the GUI is
or if they include a GUI ZFS admin tool.

I expect my next storage server will be Nexenta. Not sure if it will host a
backend though. It depends on how compile happy I am at that point I guess.
:)