[mythtv-users] Storage Solution: Can ya help a brother out?

vamythguy vamythguy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 05:14:29 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Wade Maxfield <mythtv at hotblack.co.nz>wrote:

> On 24/11/08 5:38 PM, vamythguy wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 1:57 PM, vamythguy<vamythguy at gmail.com>  wrote:
> >>
> >> Hopefully this isn't too OT or too 'we've all already done that - next".
> >

> > No interest?  Maybe someone can tell me why this is a non-starter?
> >

> Maybe if there was a question, or a call for an opinion or something?
>
>  - Wade

Ok.  Let me start with - I don't get LVM + RAID.  The idea of being able to
throw differently sized disks in one side and having a failure resistant
dynamically extendable disk solution come-out the other is great, but I
don't get LVM + RAID.  Specifically, how it works.  Why both?  Also, I love
the idea of not being constained by the number of slots in a box, so the
extent to which that can be abstracted across a protocol like iSCSI or AoE
or eSATA would be great - especially since performance is only marginally
important to me.  So, how would.does something like this work/get built?