[mythtv-users] MKV x264 downsample help needed

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 14:58:16 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 7:08 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> Peter Loron wrote:
>> I have some HD x264 video files in MKV format. I would like to be able
>> to watch them on my Apple TV (running Mythbuntu), but trying to play
>> them with Myth or with xine at the console, there are just too many
>> dropped frames.
>>
> The AppleTV has pretty marginal hardware.  It has an old Pentium-M at
> 1GHz.  You might also want to consider shifting to a less intensive
> codec such as XviD.

I'm going to suggest this as well. h264 is just too intense for that
old machine and in the end won't give you much, if anything, over a
well encoded XviD file for most content, especially if its just 720p
and without the extendedly large color palette HDTV can handle, which
more likely than not is what your working with.

Look at avidemux2, you won't need its editing capabilities, but it
does have nice graphical interface for choosing encoding options.

--
Steve
http://www.jobs-khakis-chicks.com/MythTV/