[mythtv-users] MKV x264 downsample help needed

Peter Loron peterl at standingwave.org
Sat Nov 22 23:14:33 UTC 2008

I have some HD x264 video files in MKV format. I would like to be able
to watch them on my Apple TV (running Mythbuntu), but trying to play
them with Myth or with xine at the console, there are just too many
dropped frames.

Sooo, unless somebody has a magic bullet, I think I need to downsample
or transcode to some combination of resolution and format that are
less CPU intensive.

Can somebody suggest a good tool/faq to use for that processing? I
would prefer free and Linux-based, but I have a Mac and can run
Windows in a pinch.

Thanks!

-Pete