[mythtv-users] semi-transparent screensaver

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Sat Nov 22 00:24:57 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:
> I want to setup a black screensaver that's partially transparent, as a
> way to "dim" the screen when the frontend is not used. This is what a
> lot of DVD players do. Also the PS3 does that.
>
> A totally black screensaver is less than ideal, because (from a
> usability p.o.v.) it may create the impression that the frontend is
> turned off.
>
> But I can't seem to find a way to enable transparency for a screensaver.
> I've seen some Compiz users complaining about screensaver transparency
> as a bug :-). It's exactly what I want to achieve, but without Compiz
> (3D desktop effects are undesireable on the frontend for several reasons).

I might be interested in something like that too.

Perhaps you could create a modified version of gnome-screensaver which
starts a fade, but stops before it finishes the fade?  If you're going
to do that, be sure to make the % fade configurable.  That'll really
rub the gnome guys the wrong way. :-)

   Marc