[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - PCI Express v1 and v2.

Steve Heistand steve at heistand.org
Fri Nov 21 21:01:29 UTC 2008

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 15:37:26 -0500, Raymond Wagner wrote
> Friedrich Clausen wrote:
> > It seems the 9000 series cards I have looked at are all PCI-e v.2.0
> > but my motherboard specs (for MSI K8N Neo4-FI) state that it only
> > supports v1.0a. So am I correct in assuming that a PCI-e v2.0 card
> > cannot be plugged into a PCI-e v1.0a mobo?
> v2 is backwards compatible with v1.  If either device is v1, the
> connection simply reverts back to 2.5GHz, as opposed to the full 5GHz.

v2 slots are backward compatible with v1 cards.
though if the v2 card will work in a v1 slot is up
to the maker of the card.

so the OP should check the nvidia's web page on the card you are
interested in to see if it works in a v1 slot.

"Why is it so hot inside this handbasket?"
--
Steve Heistand
steve at heistand.org