[mythtv-users] Remote suddenly stopped working

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Thu Nov 20 19:13:53 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 09:20 -0800, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics
wrote:

> >If you run irw as root, can you connect?
> >

> Ok, lots of posts here---thanks for all the help.
>
> IRW as root gives a hanging terminal screen, so it appears to be working, I
> get no errors. Remote presses show nothing on the screen. Now I've used irw
> before both in the past when setting up a remote, and when configuring my
> remote. I think irw is working and connecting just fine. It just doesn't see
> my remote presses.
>

> $ ps -A | grep lirc
> 3828 ?	00:00:00 lircd
>
> That's what I get for that command
>
> $ cd /dev
> $ ls -al | grep lirc    that returns:
> crw-rw----	1 root	root	61,	0 2008-11-19 12:52 lirc0
> srw-rw-rw-	1 root	root		0 2008-11-19 12:52 lircd
>

> Then I'd do a
>
> #irw /dev/lircd
>  ---I'll have to try that one later when I'm at home (at the office now).
>

> Ok, so did any of this help? Any ideas for me?
> -Thanks
> -Steve

Try mode2 without the lirc daemon loaded. It will appear to "hang" the
terminal. In reality it is just waiting for you to close it with Ctrl-C
or to display whatever data the LIRC driver (kernel module) is seeing
from the IR receiver. It you have a problem with your remote config file
irw may not show any data. mode2 tests things closer to the hardware. On
my Ubuntu 8.10 machine with a serial receiver (but that shouldn't
matter) I can point almost any random remote at the receiver and mode2
will display data. irw will only display for a remote configured in
the /etc/lirc/lircd.conf file.

Run mode2 like this:
mode2 -d /dev/lirc0

The console will just sit there. Point your remote at the receiver and
press some keys. If you get info printed to the console your hardware is
working. If you don't you may have a hardware problem.

Cheers,
James