[mythtv-users] Help setting up HD Homerun

Eric Mesa ericsbinaryworld at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 17:15:12 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 11:45 AM, <mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org> wrote:

> Message: 18
> Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 08:59:58 -0700
> From: "Travis Tabbal" <travis at tabbal.net>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Help setting up HD Homerun
> To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> Careful with those amps. I have one on my roof I can't use right now
> because
> the signal overpowers the receiver on the HDHR. I need to locate an
> attenuator to see if dialing it down a little helps.
>
> Do you have the latest HDHR firmware? Check on that, I found that the
> updates made a big difference with my setup. A couple of them improved the
> symbol quality significantly.
>
> If you're getting a UDP error, you might have some networking problems to
> work out as well. However, the low signal quality leads me to think you
> need
> to get the antenna situation figured out first. If you keep having
> problems,
> post on the silicondust forums. The designer of the HDHR does support over
> there and can help you figure out if it's a hardware problem.

I have updated the firmware - it was the second thing I tried.  I think most
of the indoor antennas have tunable amps.  First I'll try the antenna from
the exact same spot as the Insignia.  Then, I'll try out an amp'd antenna
and if the amp'd antenna doesn't work, then I'll check out the Silicondust
forum.

At least I know for a fact that I can recieve some channels in my apartment
so *should* work with the HD Homerun.
--
Eric Mesa
http://www.ericsbinaryworld.com