[mythtv-users] Help setting up HD Homerun

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Thu Nov 20 15:59:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 6:09 AM, Eric Mesa <ericsbinaryworld at gmail.com>wrote:

> I installed the Windows stuff and I can pick up some channels.  ie there
> are some times when the quality goes green and it gets the station name and
> all the sub channels.  But when I try to launch VLC, it doesn't work.  I get
> some kind of UDP error.  I think the Insignia seems to be a lot more
> tolerant of a low signal.  On the signal quality OSD on the Insignia it
> often falls below the halfway mark, but I am still able to watch TV without
> any glitching.  The HD Homerun seems to be expecting a much stronger
> signal.
>
> Now, the antenna is not in the EXACT same place.  So, today, when I get
> home, I will put the antenna in the exact same place and see if that
> improves anything for the HD Homerun.  If that doesn't work, I'll pick up an
> amp'd antenna to see if that does any good.

Careful with those amps. I have one on my roof I can't use right now because
the signal overpowers the receiver on the HDHR. I need to locate an
attenuator to see if dialing it down a little helps.

Do you have the latest HDHR firmware? Check on that, I found that the
updates made a big difference with my setup. A couple of them improved the
symbol quality significantly.

If you're getting a UDP error, you might have some networking problems to
work out as well. However, the low signal quality leads me to think you need
to get the antenna situation figured out first. If you keep having problems,
post on the silicondust forums. The designer of the HDHR does support over
there and can help you figure out if it's a hardware problem.