[mythtv-users] Help setting up HD Homerun

Eric Mesa ericsbinaryworld at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 13:09:51 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 7:00 AM, <mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org> wrote:

> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 23:36:13 -0800
> From: John Finlay <finlay at moeraki.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Help setting up HD Homerun
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> Eric Mesa wrote:
> >
> > Ok, after setting it to a channel dwell time of 30 seconds, it was
> > able to find only the local ABC channel.  Again,  hooked up to my HD
> > converter box, I can get 12 channels.  Also, when I try to watch the
> > local ABC channel, it just appears black and says "no lock" in the
> > EPG.  Suggestions are welcome!
> >
> It sounds like you don't have a good enough signal going into the HDHR
> unless the HDHR is broken. My experioence is the HDHR is as sensitive as
> the best converter boxes i.e. as good as the Insignia. If the antenna is
> in exactly the same place and the coax connection to the HDHR is exactly
> the same as with the Insignia then the HDHR must be broken. Otherwise
> you have a problem with your  signal path to your HDHR. If you have a
> Windows box on your network, download and install the HDHR gui config
> tools which will give you a visual display of the signal strength and
> signal and symbol qaulity. Ifound it helpful when setting up my HDHR.
>
> Good luck.
>
> John
>

> ------------------------------

I installed the Windows stuff and I can pick up some channels.  ie there are
some times when the quality goes green and it gets the station name and all
the sub channels.  But when I try to launch VLC, it doesn't work.  I get
some kind of UDP error.  I think the Insignia seems to be a lot more
tolerant of a low signal.  On the signal quality OSD on the Insignia it
often falls below the halfway mark, but I am still able to watch TV without
any glitching.  The HD Homerun seems to be expecting a much stronger
signal.

Now, the antenna is not in the EXACT same place.  So, today, when I get
home, I will put the antenna in the exact same place and see if that
improves anything for the HD Homerun.  If that doesn't work, I'll pick up an
amp'd antenna to see if that does any good.

--
Eric Mesa
http://www.ericsbinaryworld.com