[mythtv-users] Problem w/ nVidia drivers 177.80???

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 20 00:32:24 UTC 2008

James Crow wrote:
> Are you sure that you are running with the nvidia binary driver? I once
> had some trouble getting a Ubuntu install to switch from nv to nvidia.
> You can send the X log directly to me if you want. If you are running
> the nvidia binary try another tv app like tvtime or xawtv. Also try
> playing some video files with mplayer or xine.
>
> Cheers,
> James

OK, here's my latest update.  I updated my MB BIOS to the latest version
on Allen Edward's suggestion (thanks for that, BTW).  I then took out my
GeForce 7100 card, my pcHDTV 5500 card, and my Firewire card.  I noticed
that my GeForce card was really hot as it had been seated next to my
Firewire card.  All I could think of was that the air flow between the 2
slots wasn't very good.

Anyway, I put in the GeForce 9400 card that I bought last week and
booted up.  The system came right up and "top" showed normal CPU
usages.  I shut down and put my pcHDTV 5500 card back in and connected
it up, started the system up, and went through the steps to put 177.82
on, and this was all successful.  I rebooted and all looked good, so I
ran mythtv-setup to configure my DVB portion (I never got that done as
the machine would always spike to 100% before I could do this).  I was
able to scan for channels, so all looked good there.

Lastly, I figured I'd fire up "Watch TV" to see how it looked.  Not so
good.  While "top" showed normal percentages (and still do almost an
hour later), the stations do not come in really nice.  I'm not sure of
the policy of posting images to the list, so I made a small web page
showing what it looks like here: http://www.ourapplecart.com/xorg.html.
It shows 2 images: the first one is what the pcHDTV 5500 card shows when
I tune a station, and the 2nd shows what TVTime shows when I tune the
same station through it.

So, to summarize, I'm not really sure what the hardware issue was but
something wasn't right.  It could've been the GeForce 7100 card was
going bad, or maybe it sitting next to the Firewire card caused
overheating issues, so I'm leaving the firewire card out for now to
see.  I'm not ready to add Firewire into my setup at this point anyway.

Any ideas on why I can't tune reliably?  Could the pcHDTV 5500 just be
going bad?

Thanks,
Harry