[mythtv-users] Possible to make a recording request?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Nov 19 22:29:08 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 09:18:44AM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 November 2008 09:00:13 Steve Heistand wrote:
> > >  > nor is it illegal to give someone a copy of such a recording.
> > >
> > > INcorrect.
> > >
> > > That crosses the line between "duplication" and "distribution", and
> > > squarely violates the Copyright Act.
> >
> > it is perfectly legal to loan my long lost cousin a copy of a recording.
>
> I'm not sure about that, and I am not an attorney.
>
> I'm pretty sure it would be legal to invite your cousin over to your home to
> watch the recording, and I'm not sure about the difference between that and
> lending him a copy (note that "loan" is a noun, not a verb).
>
> We'll never resolve this issue here, but I think as long as we all behave
> reasonably, and don't try and sell or distribute recordings, we should be OK.

    We're dealing with a cabal of rabid pit bulls here. We are not dealing
with reasonable people. They are petty, greedy and vicious and they have
the standing and resources to bankrupt any of us. It's unwise to give them
what they view as an opportunity. It's foolish to paint a big fat "sue me"
sign on your forehead.

    Even if you are "correct", proving it can still be a very expensive
proposition.