[mythtv-users] Possible to make a recording request?

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Wed Nov 19 21:29:25 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 12:27:10PM -0800, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2008, at 12:20 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 12:09:48PM -0800, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> >> This is why I never created anything for public consumption again.
> >> Why
> >> spend my time when it's just going to be stolen? If you want people
> >> keep creating things worth having, you need to encourage them to do
> >> so. The only real means of encouraging someone to create things worth
> >> having is to pay them.
> >
> > So, how much have you sent Isaac and the other developers to pay
> > for MythTV?
> >
> > Or is it not worth having, to you?
>
> That in no way compares to creating something for profit and not
> getting paid for it. Isaac is not doing this for profit, so you cannot
> steal it. If he were to ask money for using it, I would pay because
> it's worth having. I wouldn't steal it.

You just said, right up there: "The only real means of
encouraging someone to create things worth having is to pay
them."

Would you like to retract that?

I do things for money and I do things for love. Both are
valuable. Paying me to do something I love is great, but
it's not the only method of encouraging me to do it. Saying
thank you and meaning it is good.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.