[mythtv-users] Half height - low profile tuner cards

VCRAddict MythTV_01 at appropriate-tech.net
Wed Nov 19 21:18:19 UTC 2008

At 03:20 PM 11/19/08 -0500, Jeff Holicky wrote:

    [snip]

 > No I cannot help you but - gosh, yeah not fun.  Like the "not fun" I am
 > having trying to get low profile video cards for s-video out.  If it
 > were not for the SD TVs I would be fine with a low profile case.  I
 > never thought of the bracket.  So far the only video card I have seen is
 > the EVGA GeForce FX 5200 PCI - but can't even get it.

I've used some FX5200-based cards from MSI (#TD128LF -- nice piece,
passively cooled) with good success.  They are the typical low-profile card
w/ full-height bracket as standard; but if you contact MSI they will
happily send you the appropriate low-profile replacement bracket.  [This
leaves the 15-pin VGA connector "hanging in the breeze" -- but for a MythTV
front-end application, it's generally not needed anyway, so you can just
unplug the short chunk of ribbon cable from its header on the card, and be
done with it; the DVI and S-Video connectors remain firmly planted on the
backplane.]

Apparently, they're even still available:

    <http://www.directron.com/fx5200td128lf.html>

[NOTE:  This is just the first vendor I happened to find in a quick Google
search; so don't take it as a recommendation.]