[mythtv-users] Remote suddenly stopped working

Clay nt4usb at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 19 19:16:48 UTC 2008

--- On Wed, 11/19/08, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics <steve at priorityelectronics.com> wrote:

> From: Steve Peters - Priority Electronics <steve at priorityelectronics.com>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] Remote suddenly stopped working
> To: "'Discussion about mythtv'" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Date: Wednesday, November 19, 2008, 12:03 PM
> Hello.
>
> I have the mceusb2 remote that comes with 2 ir blasters.
> Yesterday, all of a
> sudden, lirc does not see remote keypresses. I have tried
> multiple remotes,
> and installed new batteries, and none of them register with
> lirc (via
> running irw to see presses). The little ir receiver
> indicates that it is
> receiving signals because the red led lights up when keys
> are pressed. Also,
> the two ir blasters on it are still working.
>
> Any ideas as to what could have happened? I reverted my
> system to a known
> backup from about 3 weeks ago, and the remote didn't
> work with that either,
> so I don't think it's a software issue, but you
> never know.
>
> I'm running mythbuntu 8.10 (and 8.04 on my known good
> working backup).
>
> Thanks for any advice or help you can provide.
>
> -Steve

When was the last time you did a cold restart?
In the old days, the lirc fw wouldn't start working unless you powered down, unplugged, and let all the caps bleed down (or hold in the start button to speed the process.)
Maybe that's changed now, but I still have to reinstall and go through the power routine whenever I do a kernel upgrade. But then, my build was originally Dapper, upgraded to Edgy, then Feisty so probably a result of using old with the new...