[mythtv-users] Possible to make a recording request?

VCRAddict MythTV_01 at appropriate-tech.net
Wed Nov 19 17:17:38 UTC 2008

At 08:15 AM 11/19/08 -0800, Josh Mastronarde wrote:

    [snip]

 > And regardless, Isaac, the owner of the list (really; these messages
 > go through a single central server, unlike Usenet) has requested that
 > we not discuss these sorts of things on it.  Not because the technical
 > legal arguments may or may not have merit (including the extension
 > from "my roommate can watch my backup copy" to "I can give a copy to
 > my friend" to "everybody in the world is my friend" :-), but because
 > he'd like to avoid even the *appearance* of impropriety on the
 > official forums and avoid entangling the project in the public debate.

I was unaware of that.  But after re-checking
<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Mailing_List_etiquette>, I see that I
did indeed overlook that item.  Rather embarrassing, in light of the fact
that I'd just made reference to this same document in another thread (in my
-- admittedly weak -- defense, I'll note that this particular clause is
buried all the way at the bottom of the page).

In any event, while I don't think *this* discussion tripped over into areas
(such as, "how do I break CSS encryption?") that pose any real danger to
the list or to its maintainers, I can understand Isaac's reticence to
condone even peripheral discussion of these issues.  Therefore, this will
be my last post in this thread.