[mythtv-users] upgrade backend from fc4 to fc9

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 13:57:14 UTC 2008

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008, James Armstrong wrote:

> I have my backend running on FC4 and is happily running along, but I
> have found that it is time to update due to qt3-qt4 on svn mythtv and
> I also wanted to get the latest kernel so I could use usb pvr. What is
> the best and easiest way to upgrade without having to wipe everything?
> I tried the yum upgrade route but got stuck on a few dependancies. Can
> I boot the fc9 dvd or loopback the iso and somehow upgrade the os
> without doing a clean install?

Fedora/RH distro upgrades are only supported between consecutive versions,
which explains why you ran into problems.

Probably the best way is to preserve /home, /etc/ and /var/lib/mysql (along
with anything else you know you'll need to preserve), do a clean install,
yum update, then start migrating things back.

> - James

HTH,
Alex.