[mythtv-users] Mythdora 4 b-->MythDora 5 or alternative? DVB-C & IPTV

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Wed Nov 19 00:47:24 UTC 2008

Fredrik Hallgarde wrote:

> Would you install MythDora 5 when EOL is 2 months or so away for the
> underlying Linux dist, what alternative?

Since it's usually an appliance that sits on a private LAN behind a
firewall, "support" from the "vendor" is not an issue. Even if they stop
giving you updates 18 months from now, so what? Security is not a
concern, and by that time you may want to update the MythTV software to
a new version anyway.

With that being said, if support is a concern (e.g. it's exposed to the
Internet), install Mythbuntu 8.04. It's based on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, which
stands for Long Term Support. Kind of like CentOS, but based on Ubuntu
(Debian really), MythTV is included, and the installer is heavily
customized to make the MythTV install a no-brainer.

http://www.mythbuntu.org/

Personally, I just installed Mythbuntu 8.10 on my new MythTV frontend
and I'll use it as long as I don't feel the need to update the mythtv
software. I dropped mythbackend on my pre-existing all-purpose CentOS 5
server which has plenty of resources to run it. It's a mixed
environment, but that's fine by me. No problems so far.

I used to be a Redhat-only type of person (Fedora, CentOS, Red Hat), but
the Debian-based stuff is not that different. It's Linux after all.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/