[mythtv-users] Hearing Aids and TV Listening Systems

Mike Holden mythtv at mikeholden.org
Tue Nov 18 11:42:14 UTC 2008

Chuck Peters wrote:
> Some time ago I bought him a
> MP3 player with FM and a little battery operated FM transmitter, but
> he never really used it in part because it needs batteries after a
> couple days, or less if it is left on.  Since he just returned
> the Sennheiser 820s he is trying the battery operated FM transmitter
> again and thinking about some 3 volt jerry rig to power it.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for other practical wireless TV
> Listening Systems?

I bought one of these for use in the car a while ago after using one of
the battery operated FM transmitters you mention:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kensington-K33383US-Universal-FM-Transmitter/dp/B000I0RORO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227008109&sr=8-5

This is also an FM transmitter, but runs from a cigarette lighter socket
in the car. You could get one of these (less than 20 UK pounds, maybe 30
dollars, not sure of current exchange rate!). It's worked very well for
me, once I found a suitably free frequency that stayed free for all my
normal journeys!

Couple this with a mains to cigarette lighter adapter (available from any
decent electrical shop) like this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Transmitter-Cigarette-Convertor-Converter/dp/B001A3HNCE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227008265&sr=1-3

(that's a UK one, but I'm sure US versions are available as well!)

and you're good to go. Not sure what range you get from the transmitter,
but I'm sure it's on a par with the battery version you already have.
--
Mike Holden

http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop for all manner of hand crafted
items, including Jewellery, Greetings Cards and Gifts