[mythtv-users] Advice on Building a Quiet MythTV Box?

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Tue Nov 18 11:17:37 UTC 2008

Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net
> <mailto:lists at glidos.net>> wrote:
>
> [...]
>

>     I've used a J7F2WE1G2E and Minimyth to build a completely silent
>     frontend. No Drive of any sort: network boot with root directory
>     accessed via nfs on tha backend.  I use it for SD only. Not sure
>     it would handle HD.
>

> Did you use anything else for you system too?  Like... for example...
> what type of enclosure did you use?

   Jetway JC200 case

   Kingston 1GB 533MHz DDR2 (KVR533D2N4/1G)

   Panasonic CW-8124-B with Black Bezel - Slot Loading DVD/CDRW

I could send you urls, if you like.

I have to admit I'm not completely satisfied with picture quality,
but that's just down to perfectionism. The picture is strikingly good,
just subtly not quite as good as my previous DVRs. I think the only way
to get quality as good as good commercial machines is the VGA to Scart
trick, and that's probably not a silent solution, and is in any case
a minefield in terms of determining what will work (e.g FX5200 is one
of the suggested cards for VGA to Scart, but the drivers can't handle
interlacing via XV properly).

Cheers,
	Paul.