[mythtv-users] Seagate confirms problems with 1.5TB Barracuda drives

Glen Dragon gad at jetcom.org
Tue Nov 18 03:25:53 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 12:53 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 09:22:01AM -0800, Yan Seiner wrote:

> > > I actually have one of the affected models ( 9JU138-300 ) with the
> > > affected firmware ( SD17 ), but TTBOMK I haven't experienced the issue.
> > > Or, at least, I've noticed no signs of experiencing that issue.
> > >
> > > I am running on a PCI SATA card at 1.5Gbps (150MB/s).  Perhaps that
> helps?
> > >
> > > The funny part is that I have another unaffected Seagate 1.5TB (
> > > 9JU138-568 with firmware SD35 ) that was causing me unrelated problems.
> > > It would fail to initialize on cold boot before the SATA card probed it
> > > (100% repeatable), so the SATA card prevented the system from booting.
> > >

> > Anyone know if this extends to the 1TB drives?  I'm seeing very, very
> slow
> > response times if I hit my RAID5 system hard.  As in, the computer will
> > freeze, sometimes for as long as 15 to 20 seconds, with nothing in the
>
>     The bug seemes to be related to cache flushing and a number of people
> have reported being able to work around the problem by turning write
> caching
> off. It appears to be a problem with all of the 7200.11 series.
>
> [deletia]

I have 4x 7200.11 750's (raid5) and have not seen this problem.
3 drives with FW SD04, 1 with SD15

I also have another 5x 7200.11 1T's (raid5) in a system that I admin.   No
issues.
Those drives all have SD15 FW.

Although, I also heard of someone else with an 1.5T that arrived DOA, and
now he's having other issues.  So it sounds like the Firmware shipping in
the new 1.5's and some 1.0s is having some issues.