[mythtv-users] Planned MythTV 0.22 user interface.

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Nov 17 17:43:51 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Nov 17, 2008, at 9:09 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
>
>> Colin McGregor wrote:
>>> Story about the user interface planned for MythTV 0.22 can be seen
>>> here:
>>>
>>> http://www.gunaxin.com/new-mythtv-interface-preview/2424
>>>
>>> Looks great, my only question being how CPU hungry will the new
>>> interface be?
>> Good question. I hope there will be options for people who prefer
>> not to
>> spend money on eye candy.
>>
>> I'd rather burn my CPU cycles playing back H264 HD program material,
>> not
>> making things look pretty, though I suspect I may be in the minority
>> on
>> that.
>>
>> I recall a project, long ago, where folks developing a word processor
>> were spending all their time on "skins", this before the program was
>> capable of printing, which I considered a fairly fatal flaw for a word
>> processor :-)
>>
>> I'd like to see HDPVR-1212 support before flashy graphics, but that's
>> just me.
>>
>> beww
>
> The parts of the interface that have been ported over to the new UI
> are much snappier for me. Everything seems just a little smoother and
> more responsive and I can only imagine it to get better since it will
> be taking advantage of OpenGL acceleration on the video card instead
> of using the QT painter rendered on the CPU.
>
> Even if it did require more CPU power (which it doesn't), your comment
> about using CPU to play back h264 content rather than using it to
> display pretty graphics doesn't make any sense at all. You don't do
> both at the same time except maybe once in a great while when viewing
> a program inside the EPG.
>
> If you want to see HD-PVR support, install trunk.
>
> What is it with this list when someone says, "Look at this great new
> feature!" people start complaining before they know anything about it?
> The new UI is in desperate need (just look for any thread in the
> archives that contain the words "mythtv sucks". If you want to
> question how developer's time is spent, check out trac and see what's
> being worked on.
>
> Sorry if I come off like a jerk, but I'm just tired of developers
> being constantly dumped on for working on "the wrong things" when
> clearly they're not.

Your point is well taken.

By definition developers work on what they want to work on, that's the
beauty of OSS projects. I have no complaints about the direction they
have been taking, just pointing out (on the *users* list) what my
personal feelings are. I would not presume to tell the devs what to so,
they have done great so far.

The point was made that we spend very little time looking at the theme,
at least we shouldn't be. It's surprising, though, how important things
like that can be in selling Myth to family members who see nothing wrong
with a TiVo.

beww