[mythtv-users] Planned MythTV 0.22 user interface.

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Nov 17 17:32:36 UTC 2008

On Nov 17, 2008, at 9:09 AM, Brian Wood wrote:

> Colin McGregor wrote:
>> Story about the user interface planned for MythTV 0.22 can be seen
>> here:
>>
>> http://www.gunaxin.com/new-mythtv-interface-preview/2424
>>
>> Looks great, my only question being how CPU hungry will the new
>> interface be?
>
> Good question. I hope there will be options for people who prefer
> not to
> spend money on eye candy.
>
> I'd rather burn my CPU cycles playing back H264 HD program material,
> not
> making things look pretty, though I suspect I may be in the minority
> on
> that.
>
> I recall a project, long ago, where folks developing a word processor
> were spending all their time on "skins", this before the program was
> capable of printing, which I considered a fairly fatal flaw for a word
> processor :-)
>
> I'd like to see HDPVR-1212 support before flashy graphics, but that's
> just me.
>
> beww

The parts of the interface that have been ported over to the new UI
are much snappier for me. Everything seems just a little smoother and
more responsive and I can only imagine it to get better since it will
be taking advantage of OpenGL acceleration on the video card instead
of using the QT painter rendered on the CPU.

Even if it did require more CPU power (which it doesn't), your comment
about using CPU to play back h264 content rather than using it to
display pretty graphics doesn't make any sense at all. You don't do
both at the same time except maybe once in a great while when viewing
a program inside the EPG.

If you want to see HD-PVR support, install trunk.

What is it with this list when someone says, "Look at this great new
feature!" people start complaining before they know anything about it?
The new UI is in desperate need (just look for any thread in the
archives that contain the words "mythtv sucks". If you want to
question how developer's time is spent, check out trac and see what's
being worked on.

Sorry if I come off like a jerk, but I'm just tired of developers
being constantly dumped on for working on "the wrong things" when
clearly they're not.

-Brad