[mythtv-users] Problem w/ nVidia drivers 177.80???

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Mon Nov 17 14:06:29 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 20:59 -0500, Harry Devine wrote:

> Nope, no good.  I am SSH'd in right now, and ran "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm
> stop", but when I try to run the installer, I get that message saying
> "You appear to be running an X Server...".  I can't even get to a login
> screen using Ctrl-Alt-F1.  I do get alot of errors in my Xorg.0.log stating:
>
> [mi] EQ overflowing. The server is probably stuck in an infinite loop.
> [mi] mieqEnequeue: out-of-order valuator event; dropping.
> [mi] EQ overflowing. The server is probably stuck in an infinite loop.
> [mi] mieqEnequeue: out-of-order valuator event; dropping.
>

> I had previously used the Restricted Drivers Manager to tell the system
> to put on version 173 then changed xorg.conf to use "nvidia" as the
> driver rather than "nv".  I thought 177 was hosed so I thought I'd try that.
>
> Damn, this is frustrating!  Its this sort of BS that keeps Microsoft at
> the top!!!
>
> Any ideas?
> Harry

Harry,

  When you try to stop X with /etc/init.d/gdm stop, do you see an error
on screen? If the X server is locked up then it may not immediately
stop. I would recommend going back to 8.10, but that is your choice. A
couple of notes:

1) EnvyNG is software that downloads and builds the current nvidia
driver for you. You must install it with Synaptic, apt-get, etc before
you can use it.

2) If you want to run the installer that you download from nvidia then
you must stop X. If you have logged into X and it is locked up then this
will cause problems. Restart your computer. Before you login (or before
you run any programs if you use auto login) do a Ctrl-Alt-F1 (or F2).
Login at the console then stop gdm. Run 'ps -ef | grep X' to see if X is
still running. If it is switch back to it with Alt-F7 (or maybe it is
F8) and hit Ctrl-Alt-Bksp to kill X. With GDM stopped it should not
start back up.

For a point of reference I am running 8.10 with a GeFroce 7300GS PCI-E
card and drivers 177.80.

Cheers,
James