[mythtv-users] Unable to get past Main Menu of Frontend

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 09:25:26 UTC 2008

> Now, when I open the main menu of the frontend and click on "watch tv",
> the screen flashes but stays at the main menu.

At this stage you need to be looking at the mythbackend and frontend logfiles.

The frontend output can be seen  by starting mythfrontend from a
terminal window.  Whether the backend is creating one already depends
on your installation.  If not, run mythbackend --help, to see the
options for creating a logfile.

Do you have a listing source configured?  Myth can be upredictable
without one (even if you're just browsing TV). It could be a recording
profile problem, storage location, starting channel ....  quite a few
things really ...  and then of course it could be a playback problem
on the frontend.

My advice would be to get some listing data and try and make a
recording.  At least then your proving whether tha backend works,
without worrying about the frontend.

Good Luck