[mythtv-users] FYI - New HW video accellAPI from NVIDIA

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Mon Nov 17 04:13:52 UTC 2008

For mobo chipset users, I found a board that should be supported.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131318

Anyone have one and willing to give a report with the new driver and patched
mplayer? For $75, plus some RAM I could get one of these going. I have an X2
3800+ CPU sitting on the bench I could test with. If it can get the same
results posted from another user with a card doing the work, it might be
worth investigating. If it works well, one could use a Sempron or other slow
CPU. Possibilities for cheap HD FE machines are opening up. Way to go
Nvidia. I'd love to see the older chips supported, but I'm not going to spit
in thier face. There are cheaper boards out there, but this one has HDMI,
SPDIF optical, and a few other nice little features. I'm in the market for
another FE machine, so I might have to give it a go just to experiment when
the funds are available to build a new FE.

What would be really cool for the Myth guys to do would be to allow slave
backends doing commflags and such to use this new tech. A $30 card in an old
server box would be a great way to get a speed boost on commflag jobs and
transcoding.