[mythtv-users] mythtv for the non-techies

Daniel Agar daniel at agar.ca
Sun Nov 16 21:12:15 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16/11/2008, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
>> My parents, who are computer literate but technically ignorant, have had
>>  it with the broken commercial players out there.  They asked me how I
>>  deal with it and I said, Myth.
>
> In what way were the commercial players broken, and what functionality
> do they actually need? Is MythTV overkill for their requirements?
>
> --
> Nick Morrott

I do this with my parents, although they're only a 30 minute drive
away. All I can suggest is that you thoroughly test every aspect of
their mythbox before they ever see, and make it very easy for them to
switch back to watching directly through the STB if myth ever has a
problem. That way a myth failure becomes a minor inconvenience, not a
problem that prevents any TV watching (a TV "emergency").

I've had this setup with my parents for the past 4 years, and things
finally became rock solid when I stopped using old flaky hardware. Now
I can't even remember the last time I got a call about a myth issue.
Next year I'll have a 6 hour drive separating me from my parents, so
things could be interesting.

Daniel