[mythtv-users] Monolith Pre-made MythTV Box?

VCRAddict MythTV_01 at appropriate-tech.net
Sun Nov 16 20:49:06 UTC 2008

At 11:34 AM 11/16/08 -0800, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:

    [snip]

 > So for considering the time vs. cost question (of whether to just
 > purchase a system like this or build one myself) I should probably
 > look at this as... can I build a MythTV box myself in $300 to $400
 > worth of time.

That depends almost purely on how you value your time.

If you insist on treating your hobbies as if you were at work, you'll
nearly always take the "throw money at it" approach -- but you also won't
have much fun.

Are you under any sort of time pressure to get this done by a certain
"drop-dead deadline"?  (The impending demise of NTSC broadcasting in the
U.S. comes to mind as one reason that might be so.)  If so, then being more
expedient and less cost-effective might make some sense.  But if not, then
I'd say just put whatever time into it you *want* to put into it, *when*
you want to do it, and the project will get done when it's done.
Presumably, these won't be hours you could otherwise get paid for anyway,
so trying to put a dollar figure on your labor in this context is kind'a
silly.