[mythtv-users] FYI - New HW video accellAPI from NVIDIA

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Nov 16 14:01:59 UTC 2008

On 11/16/2008 05:06 AM, Justin The Cynical wrote:
> If NVidia can get it[3] running under windows with older chipsets, I
> don't see any reason for the Linux equivalent to be crippled in
> comparison.  The only reason I can think of is they went for the newer
> chipsets, which may have the larger share of the NVidia/Linux market,
> never mind that the removed XVMC support from the 8XXX and up chipsets
> under Linux (which is the main reason I was looking at NVidia cards when
> building my current FE/BE).

So, how does that hand taste?  You know, the one that feeds you (NVIDIA
drivers)?

Just be happy with the fact that they did anything for us.  Besides,
have you looked at the prices of the cards on the list of supported
GPU's?  We're talking $20 to $30--not to mention the fact that /many/ of
the integrated GPU's are supported, too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814141068
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121240
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121235

Oh, and there's also the whole, you really don't /need/ GPU-assisted
decode, anyway.  My system happily handles US MPEG-2 HDTV.  If you're
using an HD-PVR to record HDTV to MPEG-4 AVC from (rented)
cable/satellite STB's (with a monthly cable bill), the extra $20 to $30
you spend to get a supported card is really a negligible part of your TV
cost, but you can always buy a system that can play that back even
without the GPU assist (and the support for HD-PVR output is getting
better every day).

Mike