[mythtv-users] Maplin twin tuner DVB-T USB Stick?

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Nov 16 10:44:55 UTC 2008

Dave Pearson wrote:
> Ian Barton wrote:
>
> Well I've managed to get it to work (I'm using kubuntu intrepid) - this
> is how:
>
>    1. I Downloaded and extracted the source code for the af9015 driver
>       from http://linuxtv.org/hg/~anttip/af9015/archive/tip.tar.bz2
>    2. I Downloaded the firmware from
>       http://www.otit.fi/~crope/v4l-dvb/af9015/af9015_firmware_cutter/firmware_files/4.95.0/dvb-usb-af9015.fw
>    3. I copied the firmware file to /lib/firmware/ and
>       /lib/firmware/`uname -r`/ (I'm not sure which is actually used and
>       the various instructions I found pointed to both locations).
>    4. I changed into the af9015-93501ba684e4 directory and ran make then
>       sudo make install
>    5. I added dvb-usb-af9015 to /etc/modules
>    6. I added options dvb-usb-af9015 dual_mode=1 to /etc/modprobe.d/options
>    7. I rebooted and 2 new DVB devices were detected
>
> I was then able to run mythtv-setup and add the new tuners n the usual way.
>
> I have found that the tuners themselves are not particularly sensitive -
> my Avermedia DVB card gets a much stronger signal from the Antenna - 93%
> against 80% for Twinhan tuner 1 and only about 75% for Twinhan tuner 2.
> I'm going to try adjusting my Antenna to improve this as tuner 2 doesn't
> get a picture at all and tuner 1 gets lots of artifacts.
>
> Regards,
> Dave.

I don't think you can compare the signals like that unless you are
comparing the levels from the same type and model of device because they
all report signal strength in different ways so that may be a red
herring. Having said that your symptoms do sound like poor signal. How
are you splitting the cable? If you reverse the connections does that
make any difference? What is the BER like for both devices?

Paul H.