[mythtv-users] Time to take the next step...

VCRAddict MythTV_01 at appropriate-tech.net
Sun Nov 16 06:58:05 UTC 2008

At 09:18 PM 11/15/08 -0500, Jake wrote:

 > wow, that was a long e-mail to read.  i'll stick to commenting on the
 > hdhomerun as we have one and love it.  each hdhomerun has a unique
 > identifier mythtv can use if you have more than one hdhomerun on your
 > lan.  also a tuner will only record or be controlled by a backend that
 > it is setup on.  so for the hdhomerun it doesn't matter that it lives
 > on your lan, you set it up on the backend you want to record to (be it
 > a master or slave) and it acts like any other tuner card.

That's good to know, and would seem to help my particular application quite
a bit.  Thank you.  One HDHR-specific question I forgot to ask earlier...
How does Myth control the tuner box (such as for changing channels), over
the LAN or via an IR "blaster"?  The former would seem the "cleaner"
approach (and less of a setup hassle); but thus far, my Google-searching
has not turned up any sort of definitive answer.

 > in general
 > i'd say go for the hdhomerun if you want to do atsc and just add as
 > many to your network as you need.

I very well might do just that.  As I mentioned, I already have my NTSC
needs adequately covered for now (and for the foreseeable future, presuming
I also have sufficient ATSC capacity), so there's no point in putting
additional NTSC-capable tuners in the box.  And I just noticed that NewEgg
has these for under $170 shipped, or effectively $85 per tuner card -- not
bad, compared to what else I've been seeing.  Have the much-talked-about
defective power supply issues been rectified yet?

But getting back to the IR emitter issue...  If indeed that's how Myth
controls the tuners, and presuming I have multiple HDHR boxes, I suspect I
would need at least one such gadget for *each* HDHR box -- which brings up
the question of how Myth keeps *those* devices straight.  Or am I just
over-thinking this?