[mythtv-users] Time to take the next step...

robbinsck1 at gmail.com robbinsck1 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 03:54:15 UTC 2008

Nice message, looks like you may be ready to be a true timeshifter.

I'll just comment on a few things I remember.

I don't know of any "piggyback" sata cables. But don't limit yourself to just sata drives in your main backend. There's always a stand-alone network drives, a couple 1 TB's in each front end etc. My opinion is Raid for the actual recordings is overkill, after all if one does crash there will be reruns. However, what should have raid redundancy is your main OS and database as well as a automated regulary scheduled "off-site" or at least "off-server"  backup.

Lirc: My thoughts are if your mythbox isn't perfect, fix it (after a backup or two). After all you did it from scratch, you can do it again. And it will be better the next time around. Lirc is an AMAZING thing, you can practically make it do anything. With a little research of things like irrecord, irw and others you can make any button of any remote work with myth. There really is no limit, if you can dream it, we can probably help you do it.

Your export problem is most likely related to your dvd-rw drive not being itentified properly in settings or maybe there's no ffmpeg on your system or something to the sort. We would need to see your logs to know for sure.

Um, that's all I can remember. But Yes
Myth really does ROCK!