[mythtv-users] Problem w/ nVidia drivers 177.80???

steve sfreilly at roadrunner.com
Sun Nov 16 02:56:58 UTC 2008

Harry Devine wrote:
> Allen Edwards wrote:
>> I have had terrible problems with nVidia settings.  My computer
>> wouldn't even boot because of a conflict between the drivers and an
>> Air2PC card.  Just today after updating my setup, it would only boot
>> in low resolution mode.  In all cases here is the solution that worked
>> for me.
>>
>> 1) Turn off the nvidia proprietary driver in mythsetup.  It has been
>> so long since I did this but I think there is a check box somewhere.
>> It may be out of there if you have the standard driver selected.  If
>> you can't figure this step out, go to the next step.  It may do this
>> for you.
>> 2) Run Envyng and install the nvidia drivers.  This is real easy to
>> use and has never given me any problem.
>>
>> Now, you will need a xorg.conf file if you don't have one.  I set mine
>>  up manually but I have an S-Video and a DVI projector and needed to
>> specify resolutions manually.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Allen
>>

> I looked through all of the screens, in both mythtv-setup as well as the
> Utilities/Setup in the frontend, and I don't see a  check box anywhere.
> As for the Envyng suggestion, I have no idea what that is.  I try to run
> both "envyng" and "Envyng" and it says "command not found".  I'm sure
> I'm misunderstanding your suggestion there, so if you could clarify,
> that would be great.
>
> Thanks for the help!
> Harry

Theres nothing in mythtv-setup about nvidia drivers.  you should be
going to system>admin>hardware drivers and uncheck from there. I dont
see where you say what version your using but if your using intrepid and
a legacy nvidia card, no driver is going to work.  they are broken as
intrepid is using a new xorg.

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

"Any people anywhere, being inclined, and having the power, have the
right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new
one that suits them better."   Abraham Lincoln 1848