[mythtv-users] Mythbackend dying, log excerpt included

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 23:41:45 UTC 2008

On 15/11/2008, Bobby Gill <bobbygill at rogers.com> wrote:

> > What is the output of 'mythbackend --version'?
> >
> > You are using a very old build of (I'm guessing here) 0.21-fixes. The
> > most recent backport to 0.21-fixes was earlier today. You really need
> > to update to the latest (or a much more recent) version of the fixes
> > branch and see whether you see the same behaviour.
> >

> ~> mythbackend --version
> Please include all output in bug reports.
> MythTV Version   : exported

The packager has stripped the actual revision number by using `svn export` here.

> MythTV Branch    : tags/release-0-21
> Library API      : 0.21.20080304-1
> Network Protocol : 40
>  Options compiled in:
>  linux release using_oss using_alsa using_backend using_dbox2 using_dvb
> using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu
> using_lirc using_opengl_vsync using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv
> using_xvmc using_xvmcw using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
> using_opengl using_ffmpeg_threads using_live
>

> What do I do? Do I uninstall the current mythtv from my package manager,
> then go grab the package from Mythtv's site?

There are no binary packages on the MythTV official site, only the
initial source code archives for each release. The current code for
each version is available from the MythTV SVN server.

> Oh, here's the mythtv-svn from Arch's AUR system (streamlined package
> management that lies outside of the package manager):
> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=18004  <-- Sound
> good to install?

That is a build of SVN trunk (the less stable (or unstable, YMMV)
current development branch), not the stable 0.21-fixes branch. Also
note that the package is misleadingly named mythtv-svn - this in
itself gives no indication as to whether it is a build of trunk or the
stable 0.21-fixes branch, although the description clears up the
confusion. Subversion (SVN) is the revision control software used, not
a specific branch of MythTV development.

Your main options at this stage are:

i) You could ask the 0.21-fixes package maintainer for your distro to
release a new up-to-date build and test that when it's available;
ii) You could start building MythTV yourself from the source code
available on the SVN server (be aware that there is a learning curve
here, but the MythTV wiki covers the process)
iii) If you are not tied to your current distro, you could move to
another that either has more frequent builds of MythTV available, or
is MythTV-centric (like MythBuntu or MythDora).

For daily use systems, I'd recommend sticking with the more stable
0.21-fixes branch.

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki: