[mythtv-users] large mythtv deployment

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sat Nov 15 16:59:53 UTC 2008

Michael Johnson wrote:
> We have 8 satellite feeds. So we don't necessarily want 8 backends,
> however we want 8 capture cards hooked up (somehow) to the hardware we
> have below.

That seems like an awful lot of hardware....

I'd try something like this:

2 quad-core frontends combos, one acting as a backend, with 6 GB RAM each
4 HDHR (they're coming out with DVB-T any day now); if that's not
available, use USB tuners or set up a backend with a server-class PCI mobo
each frontend with two dual-dvi nvidia cards, running separate X
sessions on each head - or if it's a fixed setup, run in twinview and
position the mythfrontend sessions on the heads
Use USB based remotes

The only part that's uncertain is the remotes.  I haven't gotten that
far in my config yet.  I think it should be possible to route everything
correctly but right now it's untested.

That way you have 2, maybe 3 machines, a lot less power drain, and much
simpler configuration.

For that many tuners, you're very light on disk space, though.

--Yan