[mythtv-users] large mythtv deployment

Janne Grunau janne-mythtv at grunau.be
Sat Nov 15 16:59:32 UTC 2008

On Saturday 15 November 2008 17:17:48 Michael Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am doing a fairly large deployment of mythtv at work and I am
> looking for any pointers that may help us out. So far we have the
> following hardware for a mythtv cluster and we are now debating over
> the hd5500 or the WinTV-HD capture cards. We want 8x backends

do you want 8 backends or 8 capture cards? One of the dual core machines
would be enough to serve as backend for 8 DVB/ATSC cards if you could
connect them all. Depending on what you want to receive you don't even
need 8 cards.

> and 8x frontends.
>
> Hardware:
> 1 x Quad core 2.8Ghz / 4G ram / 500G disk
> 2 x Quad core 2.4Ghz / 4G ram / 500G disk
> 2 x Dual core 2.4Ghz / 4G ram / 500G disk
> 8 x 3Ghz / 4Gram / 120G
> 1 x appletv frontend
> 1 x ps3 frontend
>
> Plan:
> Keep all the frontends and backends in a single room and run 3
> ethernet cables from frontend to the display via HDMI over ethernet
> thus leaving 1 ethernet cable free for IR and maybe something else.

Your plan seems to miss some facts. Why do you want to use 8 frontends
if you have only three hdmi connections? I doubt anyone would want to
use a frontend in a single room with all those computers above.

Please send a more detailed plan of that you want to do.

> In Question:
> * What is the length limit on an IR reciever cable?

Probably a couple of meters but there are ethernet capable lirc devices.

Janne