[mythtv-users] large mythtv deployment

Michael Johnson ahze at ahze.net
Sat Nov 15 16:17:48 UTC 2008

Hi,

I am doing a fairly large deployment of mythtv at work and I am looking for
any pointers that may help us out. So far we have the following hardware for
a mythtv cluster and we are now debating over the hd5500 or the WinTV-HD
capture cards. We want 8x backends and 8x frontends.

Hardware:
1 x Quad core 2.8Ghz / 4G ram / 500G disk
2 x Quad core 2.4Ghz / 4G ram / 500G disk
2 x Dual core 2.4Ghz / 4G ram / 500G disk
8 x 3Ghz / 4Gram / 120G
1 x appletv frontend
1 x ps3 frontend

Plan:
Keep all the frontends and backends in a single room and run 3 ethernet
cables from frontend to the display via HDMI over ethernet thus leaving 1
ethernet cable free for IR and maybe something else.

In Question:
* What is the length limit on an IR reciever cable?

Thanks

Michael