[mythtv-users] dpms stops working after a while

Pat Pierce raker1000 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 02:23:02 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 9:13 PM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:

> Pat Pierce wrote:
> >

> > ISTR trying the xset command before without effect.
> > However, the next time it happens, I'll give it a whirl,
> > and if it works, then a nightly cron job is in order.
> I don't think a cronjob would have access to the display.  Perhaps you
> ought to start a job in the background when you log in????
>
> #!/bin/bash
> xset dpms 5 5 5
> sleep 600
> exec $0
>
> --Yan

mythtv box is logged in all the time, and sits at the mythtv menu waiting
for someone to pickup the remote and wake up the monitor. However,
a cron job run as the mythtv user (or whatever user owns your xdesktop
on your box) would have access to the display, as long as the script run by
the cronjob has the right DISPLAY setting in it.

For example:
#!/bin/sh
export DISPLAY=:0.0
xset dpms 5 5 5

save that in a file, and then run that file in cron.

Pat