[mythtv-users] Have remote VNC screen at higher resolution?

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Fri Nov 14 18:45:01 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Johnny Russ
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:19 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Have remote VNC screen at higher resolution?

I think this is one of the fundamental shortcomings of the vnc protocal
(other than the inherent slowness when compared to other programs like it,
like the windows's rdp protocal). Also, unlike the windows RDP protocal, you
can't set it to run at different resolutions when you log in. I think it may
be because when you run a vnc session it is really more like a screen
sharing session.

You could just have another vnc session going. No need to run an NX server.
That's what i do. My tv is also set at 640x480, so i have a vnc server setup
that runs at my laptop's resolution (1280x1024) so i get full screen on the
laptop whenever i want to vnc in.

-Steve

I am currently using x11vnc (I believe this is what the Mythbuntu control
center installs). Do you use vnc4server to accomplish the setup you
described. That sounds like the setup I want.

i use vncserver and just run a vncserver on port 5901. Then when you open
the vnc server which i do from a startup user script, you can specify the
resolution and color depth. The session stays open even after you close the
vnc window which is really nice. Sometimes i'll start a task from the
office, then go home and finish it on the laptop.

-Steve