[mythtv-users] Seagate confirms problems with 1.5TB Barracuda drives

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Nov 14 17:25:18 UTC 2008

On Fri, November 14, 2008 5:02 am, Darrin wrote:
> I haven't read the complaints on newegg's site, but I can say that I've
> ordered a bunch of drives from them over the past couple of  months
> without any issue.  Usually, they bubblewrap the heck out of everything
> and I have to go find a knife to unpack it.  If that's not enough,
> today's hard drives can withstand far more G's of abuse than those
> that came out just 5 years ago.

TigerDirect puts their OEM drives in little plastic clamshells and then
just throws them in a box full of packing peanuts.  It always seemed kind
of shady but I've ordered at least a dozen drives from them over the years
and never got a defective one.

Western Digital warranty exchange drives now come in a little cardboard
box, with the drive suspended from two plastic end caps inside.

The era of swaddling hard disks in three inches of open-cell foam is over,
I think.  Modern drives are pretty sturdy when they're powered down and
the heads are locked.