[mythtv-users] Problem w/ nVidia drivers 177.80???

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Fri Nov 14 16:17:42 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 10:41 -0500, Harry Devine wrote:

> I'll try that later when I get home.  I actually saw that nVidia has a
> new 177.82 driver out, so I downloaded that, but when I run it, it tells
> me that I have an X-Server running and to disable X and then run it.  I
> can't get X to close and have just a command prompt.  I'm using
> Mythbuntu 8.10.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion!
> Harry

Harry to kill X completely under Mythbuntu you have to stop the gdm
service. You can use Ctrl-Alt-F1 (or F2, F3, etc.) to switch to a real
console (ssh should also work for this). Log in and then do a
'sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop'. That will stop the X server and you can
then install the Nvidia driver.

Cheers,
James