[mythtv-users] Problem w/ nVidia drivers 177.80???

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Fri Nov 14 15:11:15 UTC 2008

Dan Wilga wrote:
> I agree with Fred that the driver you want to be using is "nvidia", not "nv".
>
> I also recently ran into problems with MFE hanging after loading the
> images. The log was spewing tons of error messages about GLX not
> being present.
>
> The reason for this was the annoying graphic card autodetection stuff
> built into the distro I use (Mandriva). I had just switched graphic
> cards and, noticing this, it decided that the best driver for me to
> use was "nv". Even though I switched back to a previous Xorg.conf
> that used "nvidia", it had also replaced the GLX drivers with the
> open source ones that don't work with "nvidia".
>
> I recommend you do what I did: download the installer from NVidia's
> site. Don't use the one that comes with your distro, as it's most
> likely several months out of date, anyway. When you run the
> installer, it will make absolutely certain that all of the files it
> needs are in the correct locations, unlike an RPM, which won't always
> replace things that are present but of an incorrect version.

Also, it sometimes helps to run the installer twice; I've had problems
with broken symlinks to X libs not being fixed on the first install.
This seems to have been fixed in the newer nVidia installers but it
hurts nothing to do it twice.

Another thought on the nVidia drivers:  don't assume that the latest one
is the best.  It's a bit of a trial and error process to find one that
works for you with your hardware.

And one more: If you get the 'Your kernel was built with a different
version of gcc" warning, don't ignore it.  Install the correct version:
apt-get install gcc-4.1 or whatever.  Then run

CC=gcc-4.1 sh NVIDIA....run

--Yan