[mythtv-users] stupid input question

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 14:14:10 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 9:58 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> On 11/13/2008 09:42 PM, Josh White wrote:
> > I'm running mythbuntu 8.10, and lately I've been going though my video
> > collection, trying to clean up the metadata, etc. and I've noticed a
> > minor annoyance.  When I try to enter numerical values, I get a prompt
> > like I'm texting on a cell phone with a 9 digit pad.  For example,
> > when I want to type the number "1" into a field (like if I were trying
> > to name a rip from a 2 DVD title "[name of title] Disc 1") I'm
> > propmted with "[_X%?.-()1]" and I have to press "1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1" to
> > enter "1" in the field. It doesn't come up all that often, but if
> > there were a way to turn that off, I would do so.  I imagine this
> > functionality exists to aid those that use only a remote control for
> > input, but that's not the case with me.  I found the setting to turn
> > off the "virutal keyboard" which I thought may take care of the
> > problem, but no dice.  Has anyone else experienced this and "fixed" it
> > as I hope to do?
>
> In many places where the cell-phone-like text input exists, you can also
> hit Enter to get the pop-up keyboard, then can type normally with your
> keyboard.  (However, there may be some places where this doesn't work.)
>
> Mike

yes, I'm aware of that, but I'd like to be able to type normally, with my
keyboard, without looking at a "virtual keyboard" that does nothing in this
case but prevent the input window from assuming I have a remote control in
my hand.   Is there a way to make it so all input windows assume I have a
full qwerty keyboard, all the time?

I found another problem last night, when trying to enter my zip code in the
mythweather plugin, I was unable to do so, because apparently, "0" (as in
zero) cannot be typed (my zip code is 14850, and when I searched for
"Ithaca, NY" I got nothing).  I saw the same problem in mythvideo, when I
tried to label an HD recording I was experimenting with "[file name] -
1080P" and I couldn't input "0" again.  I imagine this all has to do with
the same problem I mentioned in my original post.  Is there a switch
someplace that can be set to change the input window behavior?  I realize
there may not be a golobal setting, since my questions span two different
plugins, but if there's any way to improve upon this, I'd be interested.