[mythtv-users] Seagate confirms problems with 1.5TB Barracuda drives

Darrin mtv at aperature.org
Fri Nov 14 13:02:43 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 9:57 PM, <f-myth-users at media.mit.edu> wrote:

>    > Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 22:21:34 -0500 (EST)
>    > From: f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
>
>    > later Newegg reviewers have stopped complaining about Newegg's
> packaging
>
> I take it back.  There's a slew of reports in the reviews about this
> drive, just today, all complaining that Newegg improperly packed their
> drives.
>
> It's sad---I've ordered a lot of Seagates and a lot of stuff from
> Newegg, but it looks like this drive (and Newegg in general for disks)
> seems like a bad idea.  I'm very glad I haven't bought one of the 1.5TB
> disks and, while I was about to put together a new machine and probably
> buy its disks from Newegg, I think I'll be using someone (anyone!) else
> for at least the drive part of this unless it seems that it's only -this-
> drive that Newegg isn't packing well...  (I haven't grovelled through
> reviews of other drives on the site yet to see if there are complaints
> about packing on those, too.)

I haven't read the complaints on newegg's site, but I can say that I've
ordered a bunch of drives from them over the past couple of  months without
any issue.  Usually, they bubblewrap the heck out of everything and I have
to go find a knife to unpack it.  If that's not enough, today's hard drives
can withstand far more G's of abuse than those that came out just 5 years
ago.

I guess I would just take some of the reviews with a grain of salt.  When I
read them, I sometimes find myself realizing that the fault isn't so much
newegg, but rather it's more likely that the customer doesn't understand how
to build systems.  For some people, it's easier to take it out on the vendor
than it is to admit they didn't read the instructions.