[mythtv-users] stupid input question

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 02:42:26 UTC 2008

Good evening all!

I'm running mythbuntu 8.10, and lately I've been going though my video
collection, trying to clean up the metadata, etc. and I've noticed a minor
annoyance.  When I try to enter numerical values, I get a prompt like I'm
texting on a cell phone with a 9 digit pad.  For example, when I want to
type the number "1" into a field (like if I were trying to name a rip from a
2 DVD title "[name of title] Disc 1") I'm propmted with "[_X%?.-()1]" and I
have to press "1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1" to enter "1" in the field. It doesn't come
up all that often, but if there were a way to turn that off, I would do so.
I imagine this functionality exists to aid those that use only a remote
control for input, but that's not the case with me.  I found the setting to
turn off the "virutal keyboard" which I thought may take care of the
problem, but no dice.  Has anyone else experienced this and "fixed" it as I
hope to do?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Josh