[mythtv-users] Use of ATRPM repositories ? (Myth on Fedora via wiki instructions)

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Nov 13 21:09:36 UTC 2008

Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 08:02:22PM -0500, Linuxguy123 wrote:
>> I'm installing mythtv by the instructions given here:
>>
>> http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Installing_MythTV_on_Fedora
>>
>> After I enabled the ATRPMs repositories, yum wants to do an update.
>> But when I run it, I get a bunch of conflicts as shown below.   How do I
>> resolve them ?
>
> Disable the other repo?
>
>> Furthermore, the discussion of that wiki page states:
>>
>> ==================================================================
>> ATRPMS
>> Under no circumstances should this guide be telling people to install
>> ATRPMS repo, because it can severely damage a fedora install.
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JohnMahowald/ATrpmsWarning
>>
>> I'm going to comment out the line doing so. This may break these
>> instructions, but that's better than breaking people's fedora installs.
>> --Barberio 11:56, 22 May 2008 (UTC)
>> ==================================================================
>>
>> Apparently the line didn't get commented out.  Its still in the
>> instructions.   If people don't enable the ATRPMs repository, how are
>> they installing mythtv on Fedora from RPMs ?
>
> The above lines are simply FUD IMNSHO (you wouldn't expect me to
> answer otherwise, so maybe this opinion doesn't count as unbiased).
>
> But at least the following is undisputable: Several generations of myth
> users have been using ATrpms directly or indirectly (by some rebuilds
> or live CDs) attesting quite a high stability mark on ATrpms' managing
> of mythtv bits.

And I'll add my two cents that that comment is FUD. ATRPMS mainly has
packages which a fedora install does NOT provide. Even if you change
your fedora repo url to the 'Everything' repo, there should be no overlap.

What you CANNOT do is have a number of non-Fedora repo's enabled at the
same time. If you really really want to screw up your box, enable atrpms
and livna and start installing media packages.

If you do a bare metal install, and update the install with only the
fedora repos enabled, you should have no problems with package overlaps
if you enable atrpms in order to install specific groups of packages. If
you are really worried, then browse the atrpms site, and select the
packages you want individually, letting the Software Installer grab the
  dependencies.

AND NOTE: The mythtv packages themselves HAVE NO DEPENDENCIES. The
plugins and extras are the ones that require lots of dependencies. The
wiki has a list and script for Fedora under the heading Dependencies.

Geoff